Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Historical day...

We have a new president today. The total history freak that I am, I am enthralled with any major event such as we experienced today and believe it or not, can separate my "political" feelings from that and appreciate it for what it is. The peaceful change from one political leader to another is to be noted no matter which side of the fence you fall over. Noted enough that we watched several hours of it in school today, even!

That being said, I do find myself concerned with our political leanings. I am conservative. It is a simple fact of nature, nurture, personality, hopes, desires, and beliefs. Okay, so maybe not so simple, but the fact remains that I am who I am and I am strong enough in my beliefs and convictions that unless something monumental happens to change me at my very core, that isn't changing. As you may have guessed, my vote didn't go to our current president.

However, the time for debate over who should lead our country is very much over. We have a new president. He will need guidance, perspective, and support. The best way that I can give that is by continuing to pray for him as well as our others leaders and those "in power". And I will remind everyone-- one man can NOT fix the problems that our world (notice I said WORLD not just America) faces. God still is in control. Nothing will happen to us, to our country, to our world that He does not ordain.

Many of the problems we face are brought on by human greed, sin, and just your garden variety crappy person disease. Those problems are not going to be fixed by a political leader. They can only be fixed by changes from within. Pray that God brings about those changes. If you are sitting waiting on President Obama to "fix" human kind, you are going to be disappointed because at the end of the day, he is still just a man.

***

Okay, I just deleted a whole paragraph because I really don't want to get riled up this close to bedtime nor start a 'discussion' between those who might disagree. Not today anyway. Instead of what I had written, I will simply say this...

There is a certain satisfaction in knowing that YOU support yourself. There is a feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day knowing that you did your part in making your life what it is. There is a strength from within that comes from knowing that no matter what adversity you may face, you will face it and you will deal with it and you will overcome it. It might not be hearts, roses, and flowers. You might have to give up things that you can/could live without to begin with. You might just have to make a few sacrifices. And, believe it or not, that's okay--it's alright to not be able to keep up with the theoretical "Jones's". But when the day comes (and it will come--trust me), you have faith in yourself and in God that you will face it, deal with it, and come through it alive and kicking!

All that being said, today was really a cool day. I didn't vote for the man, don't really agree with much that he has said that he believes in, but the American in me smiles at a nation celebrating diversity and unity in one breath. The historian in me still gets chills when I see the flag wave and hear "Hail to the Chief". The teacher in me appreciates the learning experience I was able to share with my students today. This is still MY country. It is still YOUR country. What it was, is, and becomes has a whole lot more to do with you and me than it ever will with ONE man sitting in the Oval Office...

No comments: