Monday, July 27, 2009

Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow...

Apparently my Smith genes become concentrated over time. I can distinctly remember groaning and stating (in my head of course, I had no desire for THAT tongue lashing...) that I would NEVER fool with gardening. It was way too much work and not enough reward. They make and freeze veggies every day and you can buy 'em whenever you want. *sigh*... I eat words daily.


This pic shows four experiments. I canned the "makings", as they say, for veggie soup. In two of them, I added beef stock just to see how that would go. There's also a jar of green beans and one jar of peas that you can't quite see there for Daddy.

It actually has been kind of fun, well, except for the peppers from hell but I'll tell you about that one in a minute! LOL :) This is the first time we've had a "real" garden (i.e. more than a few tomatoes, peppers, and bell peppers). We've actually had butter beans, okra, watermelon, corn, cantaloupe, squash, tomatoes, jalapenos, bell peppers, green beans, peas, and the kids wanted to plant some gourds, pumpkins, and egg plants. Wow, that looks kinda impressive written out like that. Ha ha!!




Here are the soup ones after I've taken them all out of the canner. Something about that "ting" when the jar lid pops really reminds me of Momma and Mammaw Luke. I also added some garlic, jalapenos, and fresh basil to these as well. We like our food a little spicy 'round here! :)

Ah, the peppers. Those lovely, little peppers. The peppers straight from the PIT let me tell you! I have helped Momma and Daddy forever with peppers. And I am quite sure that I do NOT remember my Momma donning a pair of gloves to deal with the hellish organics, but let me assure you that in the future this girl will! I have never in my life felt such fire! My hands were literally burning from the inside out. I had blisters on my fingers from the darn things! I don't know if I unknowingly did something to make it worse or if the old wives' tale of dry heat making peppers hotter than Hades is true, but I was miserable! Jody finally went to town and got a box of baking soda. I made a paste out of it and literally walked around with my hands in plastic bags for HOURS before they finally ceased burning me alive!

These jars are some strawberry jelly. I made this twice, the first time, turning out wonderfully. Tasted great, set up like it should and I congratulated myself on my wonderful cooking ability. I learned the hard way not to get too excited over a little success. Second go around (as is typical for me) I decided to reduce the sugar. Well, if I would have read the directions a little more carefully, I would have KNOWN that you can not do this and that if you do, you have to use a different type of sure-jell... I have strawberry jelly-syrup. Tastes great, but don't expect it to stay on your toast. Not sure what I am going to do with it. I am seriously thinking about heating it back up, adding another box of sure-jell and seeing what happens! I mean really, what's the worst? It's already botched jelly, at worst, I'll just have to throw it away! LOL :)


Fresh basil, anyone? I am not sure where my desire to grow basil came from. I just enjoy cooking is all I know. Basil is such a delicious smelling herb that I guess I just love to have it around. The basil plant has shown out this year though and I am looking at having WAY more than I normally do. Robin, don't you want some for all your lasagna? LOL :)

5 comments:

Libby said...

You go farmer Beth! Im so proud, and Im sure Ms. Mary is too! Call me when the "soup's on"! Veggi soup is my fav!

Jennifer said...

MMMMM, Yummy! Please come to my house next year and teach me how to plant a garden! You can always use your "strawberry syrup" over pancakes and waffles!

Beth said...

Libby, girl do you remember how bad I used to raise cain over working in that garden?! LOL :) Daddy has been obnoxiously pleased that I have a garden. I think he has told every old Papaw in Lincoln county... ha ha!!

Jen, I would love to come plant you a garden. I can just see Rosi now snatching her a green tomato off the vine and trying to eat it! LOL :)

Robin Ann said...

I used some in my spaghetti Saturday night as a matter of fact! ha ha... you need to come clean about the soup exploding!

Beth said...

ah, yes, the exploding soup! I will have to update everyone on that one! You have to admit, it WAS funny! LOL :)