This has been such a fun week! I've caught up with several old friends via facebook over the last week, talked to several of them, and am going to call a couple of others this week.
I've been gone from Brookhaven for SO long that it's been easy to just 'let go' of old friendships. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that it seems the older you get the less time you have for the fun stuff.
Just to give you an example, take the times that I do go down to Brookhaven... I go to see Daddy, check on him, take care of whatever needs to be taken care of, and if I am lucky, I might get to see one of the aunts or one particular friend that lives pretty close to Daddy. I don't ever seem to have time to just go and meet up with anyone just to visit. Now I will fully admit that is SO my fault. Since we lost Momma, I just don't enjoy being there like I used to. It is hard. The minute I even enter Lincoln county, I begin to remember so many things that are just easier to put out of my head here at home. Therefore, I don't go as often as I should. Maybe, if I went more often, I wouldn't feel guilty if I didn't stay up under Daddy the whole time I'm down there. Yet at the same time, I don't want to treat his house as if it is a hotel either and just breeze in for a ten minute visit in between friends. That wouldn't change if I went down there every weekend!
Ugh! I am not the type of person to look at folks and say 'hey, I'd love to see you, but you have to come here' either! It's not as if Lake is a huge metropolis area that I can bribe people into coming to visit with the idea of a treat night at a cool restaurant, an entertaining show, or, well, anything, just to be honest! Those of you that don't know Lake... think West Lincoln--without the benefit of having Brookhaven within a ten minute drive! LOL :)
So that's my dilemma for the day... I've had a blast chatting with all these old friends, would love, love, love to see them again and visit, but truly don't know when I will have the time to just head to Brookhaven for a weekend of visits. Any solutions anyone?? :)
Well, hello there!
10 years ago

2 comments:
This is my suggestion...meet in Jackson somewhere fun to have lunch or coffee and catch up :) That way you can meet in the middle and neither person has to worry about cooking, cleaning, or entertaining! You could also get a group of people together to if they are mutual friends.
I know what you mean about not enough time when you go home. When I was home at Thanksgiving, I rode to each house starting with Daddy and visited a little bit with each one. I felt like I had actually spent some time with my family afterwards. It was nice. I also know what you mean about not really enjoying being there anymore. Everything changed, Beth. There is nothing we can do but try to find something different to hang onto. Momma would not want us to abandon Daddy, her sisters and our cousins or eachother just because it makes us sad. I know my situation is different than you and Andrea. But even still I would go home every weekend if I could. Whether it made me sad or uncomfortable or not. I also find a certain amount of belonging and comfort from just being there and I really miss it.
As far as reconnecting with friends, I think Jenn hit the nail on the head. Plan a girls day and meet up in Jackson. Ya'll could do lunch and window shop. They would probably all love that!
Post a Comment